Monday, October 6, 2008

My Weekend: The feast of the Our Lady of the Holy Rosary

I've been living in Sta. Barbara for three years now and it was the first time that I celebrated the feast of the Our Lady of the Holy Rosary. I was actually hesitant since I don't think my relatives would be able to come to my place. But when I asked my sister, she said yes, they're going to come.

So, last Saturday, I had to go to the grocery and shop for a lot of things. I don't have any idea what I will be cooking because I really did not plan for it. But while I was pushing my cart on the alley of the grocery, I thought well maybe I should cook "puchero" for lunch. I bought some pork, vegetables, banana, sweet potato and pork and beans in can. I also bought some ground pork for the spaghetti that the children always love. And for dessert, I bought some graham crackers, milk, cream and some wafer sticks. I'll be preparing some refrigerated cake.

When I was on the counter, I was shocked to see that I had bought a total of 5 grocery bags. OMG, how can I carry all these things??? I tried to do it, I have to do it. So, i balanced all the bags on both hands, walked out and reached the front of the mall. But I don't think I can go on any longer so I put down the bags on the sidewalk and decided to wait for a cab. But as expected, cabs don't really like going to my place since it's in the mountains and very hard to reach. I can't do this alone, I told myself. So, I called my sister and asked for help. Thankfully, she sent one of my nieces to help me and we were able to go home by 6:30 in the evening. We had dinner and I started preparing the refrigerated cake.

Along came Sunday... I woke up early despite sleeping quite late. I had to prepare breakfast for them since I told them to come early so they won't have trouble waiting for a jeepney. The arrived at my house as early as 8:00 AM, all the 10 children (including my 5-month old niece) and one of my sisters. My house was full of children running in and out of the house. The only times I kept them still was when I put on a video for them to watch and when they were eating. They were a handful but I am glad that they came even if I ended up cooking the whole day until 3:00 in the afternoon.

It was a tiring but pleasant weekend.

No comments: