Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The good thing about the fuel price hike

Just this morning while I was leisurely walking on my way to work, I saw a group of men, around 8 of them who were biking. I observed that they are not the usual cycling enthusiasts since they are not dressed in cycling outfits. Some are wearing jeans and some are wearing shorts and they have their bags on their backs.

As I walk along, I saw a number of people walking on the sidewalks. People whom I observed are also on their way to their jobs. Some are dressed in casual outfits and there are some who are even wearing high heeled shoes and office outfits.

On the other hand, the news on TV says that the Metro Rail Transit (MRT) and the Light Rail Transit (LRT) are always packed with so much people that you don't need to hold on to the hand rails while the train is moving because there won't be any available space for you to move and there would be a lot of people all around you.

As I was contemplating on this, I have concluded that these are the effects of the continuously increasing fuel prices. People seldom use their cars anymore. Most people take the public transports like trains, jeepneys and buses.

But the good thing is, a lot of people are gearing up their old bicycles stocked in the garage or at the back of their houses for a long time. More people are making use of the sidewalks and the bicycle lanes here in Marikina.

I guess despite all the bad things happening around us we can say that still there are a lot of good things we can make out of it.

No comments: