Thursday, September 18, 2008

My first tour guiding experience

The Tourism Office had long been requesting me to be a tour guide since a lot of students, local government officials and non-government agencies are visiting the City and they are understaffed.

Two days ago, I was again called by a staff of the Tourism Office and asked me if I'm available since there are 120 students from a private school who requested for a City Hall tour to study about the local government's functions. I told her I'll have to see if I'm available and that I'll call again but actually there's another reason, aside from my busy schedule, that I've been trying to say No to their request... it's because I'm quite nervous and I don't really know if I can handle a tour guiding assignment.

But yesterday, I already said yes, I'm available. So, last night when I was in bed, I had been rehearsing in my mind what I'm going to say to them. I have already memorized my opening statement and some of the things that I'm going to say about the different offices they are going to visit. I slept on it and woke up early this morning, still a bit nervous but I told myself I have to do this and if I'm not going to do it now, when will I ever have the courage to do it.

So I went to the City Hall of Marikina 30 minutes before the visitors arrived so that I can prepare myself a little bit and talk to the other tour guides since they are more experienced than I am. When the visitors came, I was still nervous and when I said my first line I'm still nervous. But I had to compose myself, I had to be brave and so I guess it was on my fourth or fifth line that I tried to relax a bit and tried to act normally.

The tour went on for a little more than two hours and my final statement went out normally and I'm glad.

No comments: